Thursday, October 14, 2010

Geraldton, Dongara and Port Denison





Friday 1st of October and we are on the road again (good name for a song), heading towards Geraldton but intending to go onto Dongara to stay. This is about 238 K's and is a fairly soft drive. We stopped at Geraldton and replenished our supplies. Geraldton is a bustling good sized Town, its a change to have to cope with busy traffic again. Stocked up, I was glad we had decided to stay in a smaller town, and was happy to be out of busy Geraldton.
Dongara and Port Denison are described in Tourism Brochures as being divided by the Irwin River, however during our visit we were very confused because there did not appear to be a dividing line between the two.
First priority upon arrival was to set the TV up for the repeat Grand Final. Much relieved to find that we had great reception. Next morning up early for a walk to the "Fisherman's Lookout" and Harbour and then back to the van for brekky and off to the local markets. Local markets lose their appeal after about the 100th outing but fresh fruit and veggies is always good, pity there was not any here. I did get to add to my collection of really bad "cheap" videos, can't figure out what makes me buy junk and love it!
Off to the bakery for lunch, I do know why I love bakery's and so does my waistline. Back at the van with sweaty palms I settled in to watch the Grand Final, I could not believe the difference in Collingwood's game, at half time I was confident we had it won. I was feeling quite emotional after reading the book of the 09 season called "Side by Side" because I understood what it meant to the players and coaches to win. "Winning is not everything---it's the only thing". Now I'll shut up until next season.
Sunday cleaned the car and watched the NRL Final, good to see the combo win. Monday we cleaned out the car and took Pat and Pete into Geraldton for a look around. About 20 K's down the road the drivers side tyre flew to bits (De-laminated). Apart from scaring hell out of me it made a terrible mess of the car, ripping off mud flaps and trim and damaging paintwork. This tyre was a Coopers and had been the spare and never used until Darwin, when I put it and a new tyre on the rear. So it turns out that tyres have a life of about 5 years even if they are not used, then are prone to De-laminating. So take care to rotate your tyre's to get some value out of them.This incident serves to remind us just what can happen and to slow down and be even more careful.
After looking around Geraldton we visited a historic homestead/museum on the way home and then home to sort out the tyre drama. Next day off to Jurien Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment